Positive Handling Flexible Learning Package: The Use of Force in Teaching Environments
This course is aimed at ensuring that teaching staff understand the legislative aspects relating to the use of force in their own working environment and can carry out the practical aspects of positive handling.
Who should take this course?
The course is ideal for staff who are new to the profession or who need to improve their communication and conflict management skills. Staff with good communication skills will also benefit from reinforcing their existing skills and developing these further.
Duration and delivery
The course is provided as a blended learning programme, comprising a a pre-course workbook (3GLH) and a ½ day workshop (3hr).
Alternatively, the programme is available as a full workshop covering the practical and theoretical elements of the course – see full day course information.
By the end of the session, staff will have:
- studied and understood the key concepts in the IBA UK Positive Handling Workbook.
- demonstrated techniques and skills required in de-escalation and possible physical intervention in and around an educational environment.
- learned a range of practical techniques which have been risk assessed for their safety.
- successfully completed a practical assessment.
- completed a reflective log related to how they feel their competencies can be shown and understood and what produced an action.
- demonstrated that they are capable and confident in their understanding and application of the full syllabus of Safe Positive Handling techniques.
At the end of the session we have built in 30 minutes as Q&A so there is time built in to deal with any possible worries or concerns staff may have about their own legal rights and responsibilities in relation to the use of force in their teaching environment. It may be useful therefore to ensure a member of the SMT team and Safeguarding Lead is in attendance to record any concerns which can then be discussed and actioned after the session.
At the end of the course delegates will receive CPD certification showing what theoretical aspects they have learned and confirming that they have understood, and practically applied, all the techniques successfully.
Upcoming Training Courses
There are no upcoming events.
Sign-up for our spam-free newsletter to keep up to date with the latest from IBA, our training courses, special offers and industry news.
Bespoke Courses & Dates
You can book any of our courses to be run at a venue of your choosing. Let us know where and when you'd like the course to be run and we'll do our best to accommodate you.Contact us online
Call us: 01793 855090