On each day, the course runs from 9:30 – 4:30 with breaks.
The qualification is designed for those learners already working or preparing to work in industry who have been identified within the company’s risk assessment of First Aid. Topics covered include: the roles and responsibilities of the First Aider; assessing an incident, recognising signs and symptoms of injury and illness, assisting a casualty who is suffering from major injury and illness, chest injuries, spinal injuries and anaphylaxis. The qualification is assessed via on-going oral questioning, and end of course theory test and
This is an RQF qualification.
This qualification consists of two mandatory units, which learners must complete
successfully in order to achieve the qualification:
- Unit 1 – Emergency First Aid in the Workplace
- Unit 2 – Recognition and Management of Illness and Injury in the Workplace
To be able to complete the course you must attend, comprehend the learning outcomes (see further details) and pass all the practical and theoretical aspects required.
Duration of the Course
12 hours over 2 days.
Learners are required to be 16 years of age prior to certification. It is advised that learners have a minimum of Level 1 in literacy or numeracy.
It is the responsibility of the centre to have systems in place to ensure that the person taking an assessment is indeed the person they are claiming to be.
- Practical observation: The practical assessment of learners for the qualification is completed throughout the course delivery. This ongoing assessment will involve learners demonstrating practical first aid skills across a number of areas.
- Written/Oral questioning: Learners are required to answer a series of questions ensuring their understanding of the theory content is sufficient to meet the required standard. Oral questioning can be used to extract further information for these questions during the practical assessments, with the tutor documenting the responses, or when needing to supplement learners’ written responses, according to individual learners’ needs.
Upon successful completion learners may wish to continue their development via the completion of any of the sign-posted qualifications/training:
- Level 3 Award in First Aid Response
- Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid
Upcoming Training Courses
Sign-up for our spam-free newsletter to keep up to date with the latest from IBA, our training courses, special offers and industry news.