This course will cover what the law says in relation to staff undertaking screening, searches and confiscation in an educational setting, so staff are clear on their legal rights and responsibilities and leave the course confident in being able to undertake these activities.
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for any member of school staff that might be involved in screening searching or confiscation. By sending staff on this training, school management is able to show provision of adequate and sufficient information and training to meet their duty of care under current health and safety legislation.
The course can be extended to a whole day of delivery for institutions (such as schools, colleges, universities, academies, faculties, departments etc) where more complex security arrangements are in place (e.g. walk-through or hand-held metal detectors) and for boarding schools where room searches may be required.
Duration and Delivery
This course can be delivered as a blended course with a workbook completed prior to the course and a half day practical/theory session. Alternatively, it can be extended to a full day for institutions with more complex security arrangements (see ”Who should take this course?’)
On completion of the training staff will;
- Be aware of the law in relation to searching, screening and confiscation.
- Understand powers to search with consent.
- Understand what you can search for without consent.
- The extent of searches e.g. clothes, desks, lockers, bags and other possessions.
- Know what prohibited items can be searched for.
- Be able to undertake a screening.
- Be able to establish grounds for a search i.e. illegal drugs, prohibited pornography, weapons and other items prohibited by school rules.
- Understand ‘use of force’ issues in relation to searches.
- Equality and diversity issues i.e. gender, religious, cultural.
In addition to the theory, delegates will learn how to undertake searches in a safe way.
Upcoming Training Courses
Sign-up for our spam-free newsletter to keep up to date with the latest from IBA, our training courses, special offers and industry news.
Bespoke Courses & Dates
You can book any of our courses to be run at a venue of your choosing. Let us know where and when you'd like the course to be run and we'll do our best to accommodate you.Contact us online
Call us: 01793 855090