Positive Handling Full Day Training Package (6hr)
This course covers the practical application of safe positive handling in teaching environments. It combines the content of both the short briefing and practical positive handling skills.
The course reviews legislation using case studies of where handling and restraint have gone wrong. The implications of unsafe practices and techniques e.g. legal action, injury, disability, death etc. are covered.
Who should take this course
The course is ideal for staff who are new to the profession or who need to improve their communication and conflict management skills. Staff with good communication skills will also benefit from reinforcing their existing skills and developing these further.
Duration and Delivery
This is a full day course with 6 hours of training time.There is also required pre-course reading, covering a review of legislation and case studies.
In the workshop attendees will learn to practically apply the various techniques, contributing their own experiences of situations they have been involved in. Using reflective practice they will consider their actions and what they might do differently (or not) next time. The workshop will involve an in-depth discussion of the safety issues surrounding positive handling. Situational scenarios will be used to practise handling in a ‘real-time’ setting.
By the end of the session, staff will:
- be able to deal with situations more confidently and understand how good communication skills can prevent an escalation of challenging behaviour.
- have improved knowledge of effective and non-effective body language and non-verbal communication in relation to managing learner behaviour.
- be able to embed what they have learned into their working practices by demonstrating positive non-verbal communication to de-escalate situations and use good conflict management skills.
- be fully up-to-date with the law in relation to the use of force.
- have learned how to apply positive handling techniques in a safe and legal way.
- have been coached in and carried out the practical aspects of de-escalation, breakaways and the practical application of positive handling.
A CPD Certificate of Achievement will be provided to all staff who attend, have met the objectives of the session and successfully complete the practical assessment.
Upcoming Training Courses
Sign-up for our spam-free newsletter to keep up to date with the latest from IBA, our training courses, special offers and industry news.
Bespoke Courses & Dates
You can book any of our courses to be run at a venue of your choosing. Let us know where and when you'd like the course to be run and we'll do our best to accommodate you.Contact us online
Call us: 01793 855090